Thursday, August 25, 2011

Where's my prune juice?

I dunno, I’m starting to feel old.
Not in the sense of “Geez, my knees and joints hurt,” but more like the, “Shut it and grow up already.” I’m afraid I’m growing out of the college lifestyle more and more each day. I mean, that’s not a bad thing. I don’t want to be thirty, questioning if my (hypothetical) current situation is also my future and is what I want to be doing. I know what I want to do. I know what I want to do till then. I. Am. Enlightened. And I like it.

But. More than that, I’m getting irritated by the immaturity that comes with living on campus. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do in the building, I love my staff, I love creating the sense of a community and the working environment, and for the most part I love the residents; it’s the mentality from the select few, the “Oh, let’s do this to bother them,” and the “Let’s get drunk every night,” that really annoys me. Is there an true honest answer for why people do those things? To do things for the sake of doing things, for the rush, whatever: To jump out of an airplane is one thing; to intentionally cause chaos because “it’s cool” is another.

Hey kid, in your future, also known as the majority of your life, there is no such thing as “the cool kid.” You won’t be throwing parties forever, you won’t be playing beer pong every night, and you’ll be going to sleep and waking up at reasonable hours.

It bothers me that a lot of these younglings don’t have a shred of an idea of respect or an inkling of maturity; what bothers me more is that I don’t see a chance of them ever garnering that. This isn’t me being a pessimist; I’ve already seen loads of people with more degrees than me, more years than me, more talent than me, more money than me that act eight years younger than me. And they aren’t aware of it, but they are proud of the few, non-beneficial things that they’ve done. My brain and abilities, what I can and will do, are my prides and therein lies the difference.

GROWTH. EXPERIENCE. MATURITY. That is life. That is every day, even if you don’t feel it, even if you don’t want it. It’s not something that can be washed away or put aside. Embrace it. Recognize it. Learn from things; don’t feel that you have to fight it. Who knows, you might end up liking yourself a whole lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment